I love strength training, and I've helped so many clients realise the benefits of lifting weights and fall in love with it too, here are just 6 of many reasons why you should incorporate a regular resistance training programme into your routine:
1. It burns fat. Strength training builds muscle tissue and the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you will burn, even at rest.
2. It makes you strong. Regular strength training creates a strong physique and will make the things you used to find difficult, a doddle.
3. It reduces the risk of injury. Strength training helps to strengthen muscles and tendons whilst also increasing the flexibility of your ligaments, which in turn improves balance meaning you are less likely to fall (particularly as we age). Not only this but strength training also decreases the risk of your muscles becoming strained or torn.
4. It preserves bone and muscle tissue. From around our mid-thirties, our bone and muscle tissues start to deteriorate, eventually leading to osteoporosis (brittle bones) and sarcopenia (muscle wastage). However, this can be stopped in its tracks with regular weight training and reduce the need for that zimmer frame!
5. It gives you confidence. All of my clients tell me that since they have started lifting weights they have improved body confidence. Not only this, but weight training releases endorphins which improve your mood and these two things combined create powerful positivity where wonderful things can happen!
6. It's bloody awesome and there's no better feeling than experiencing what your body is truly capable of, particularly when you look back at your resistance training journey and see how much you have progressed.
I coach my clients through personalised resistance training programmes that help them build strength, lose weight and gain confidence. Whether you're new to strength training, or have taken a break and want to get back into the saddle, there are 2 ways I can help:
1. Work with me face-to-face - I coach clients one-to-one or in pairs from my private fitness studio in central Guildford - you'll find more information here
2. Join my 12-week online coaching programme - I will write you a bespoke resistance training programme that you can do at your gym or at home and coach you through 12 nutrition habits and that will result in real, sustainable results - for more information, click here
To find out more about what my clients say about working with me, click here