There are so many reasons why lifting weights should be a part of everyone's weekly routine, but here are 6 of the best.
1. It burns fat. Strength training builds muscle tissue and the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you will burn, even at rest.
2. It makes you strong. Regular strength training creates a strong physique, and will make the things you used to find difficult, a doddle.
3. It reduces the risk of injury. Strength training helps to strengthen muscles and tendons whilst also increasing the flexibility of your ligaments, which in turn improves balance meaning you are less likely to fall (particularly as we age). Not only this but strength training also decreases the risk of your muscles becoming strained or torn.
4. It preserves bone and muscle tissue. From around our mid-thirties, our bone and muscle tissues start to deteriorate, eventually leading to osteoporosis (brittle bones) and sarcopenia (muscle wastage). However, this can be stopped in its tracks with regular weight training and reduce the need for that zimmer frame!
5. It gives you confidence. All of my clients tell me that since they have started lifting weights they have improved body confidence. Not only this, but weight training releases endorphins which improves your mood and these two things combined create powerful positivity where wonderful things can happen!
6. It's bloody awesome. 'nuff said!
Have a great day!